[petsc-users] PETSc configuration to solve Poisson equation on a 2D cartesian grid of points with nVidia GPUs (CUDA)

Vittorio Sciortino vittorio.sciortino at uniba.it
Thu Dec 14 22:20:10 CST 2023

Dear PETSc developers,

My name is Vittorio Sciortion, I am a PhD student in Italy and I am
really curious about the applications and  possibilities of your
library. I would ask you two questions about PETSc.

My study case consists in the development of a 2D electrostatic Particle
In Cell code which simulates a plasma interacting with the shaped
surface of adjacent divertor mono-blocks.
This type of scenario requires to solve the electro-static Poisson
equation on the whole set of grid nodes (a cartesian grid) applying some
boundary conditions.
Currently, we are using the KSPSolve subroutine set to apply the gmres
iterative method in conjunction with hypre (used as pre-conditioner).
Some boundary conditons are necessary for our specific problem
(Dirichlet and Neumann conditions on specific line of points).
I have two small curiosity about the possibilities offered by your
library, which is very interesting:

1. are we using the best possible pair to solve our problem?

2. currently, PETSc is compiled with openMP parallelization and the
iterative method is executed on the CPU.
Is it possible to configure the compilation of our library to execute
these iterations on a nVidia GPU? Which are the best compilation options
that you suggest for your library?

thank you in advance
Greetings
Vittorio Sciortino
PhD student in Physics
Bari, Italy

Recently, I sent a subscribe request to the users mailing list using
another e-mail, because this one could be deactivated in two/three
months.  private email: vsciortino.phdcourse at gmail.com
--
Vittorio Sciortino
Sostieni la formazione e la ricerca universitaria con il tuo 5 per mille

Il tuo contributo può fare la differenza: oggi più che mai!