[petsc-users] MatSetValuesCOO after MatDuplicate

Maxime Bouyges maxime.bouyges at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 14:15:53 CDT 2023

Thanks for the prompt confirmation! I have to admit that I hadn't tested
yet the memory performance of using COO instead of the classical
MatSetValues. I will keep both approach in my code and do more
performance checks (CPU and memory) before I take a decision. In any
case, calling "again" MatSetPreallocationCOO after MatDuplicate is
working so I can live with that. I just wanted to be sure that it was a
"bug" (or a missing feature I would say) and not a misuse from me.

If you are curious, here is the context. I am using the Julia langage to
solve an ODE using the DifferentialEquations.jl package
(https://github.com/SciML/DifferentialEquations.jl). The system jacobian
matrix is a Julia SparseMatrix
(https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/stdlib/SparseArrays/) with CSC format.
I am using PETSc as a backend for the linear algebra (with
https://github.com/bmxam/PetscWrap.jl). So at some point I have to fill
a PETSc matrix with the values of a Julia CSC sparse matrix. Recovering
the COO information from the Julia matrix is trivial, and using
MatSetValuesCOO with this information seems very efficient. However, the
ODE solver does several matrix duplication (wrapped as MatDuplicate in
my case) and that's why I stumbled accross this bug. But as explained
above 1) I can call MatSetPreallocationCOO each time MatDuplicate is
called and 2) I can keep the classical MatSetValues and use an other way
to fill the PETSc matrix.

Thanks again for your quick answer (and for the great library ;)) !

Best regards,

Maxime Bouyges