[petsc-users] MPI linear solver reproducibility question

Mark McClure mark at resfrac.com
Sat Apr 1 23:31:20 CDT 2023

Thank you, I will try BCGSL.

And good to know that this is worth pursuing, and that it is possible. Step
1, I guess I should upgrade to the latest release on Petsc.

How can I make sure that I am "using an MPI that follows the suggestion for
implementers about determinism"? I am using MPICH version 3.3a2.

I am pretty sure that I'm assembling the same matrix every time, but I'm
not sure how it would depend on 'how you do the communication'. Each
process is doing a series of MatSetValues with INSERT_VALUES,
assembling the matrix by rows. My understanding of this process is that
it'd be deterministic.