[petsc-users] Solve Linear System with Field Split Preconditioner

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Tue Sep 27 09:13:17 CDT 2022

    Composed preconditioners (like field split) have multiple moving parts and you need to "tune" them for each part separately; you cannot just run the entire preconditioner, get slow convergence on the entire problem and then give up.

     So step one is to get a good preconditioner for the A00 block, and not worry about the entire fieldsplit yet (once you get good convergence on the A00 block you can tune the Schur complement preconditioner but without good convergence on the A00 block it makes no sense to try to tune the Schur complement preconditioner).

You can run with options to monitor convergence of the A00 block and try to tune for that -fieldplit_0_ksp_monitor_true residual  -fieldsplit_0_ksp_view -fieldsplit_0_pc_type gamg and control GAMG options with -fieldsplit_0_pc_gamg_*

     As Mark said, you first need to provide the coordinate and null space information for the A00 block to have any hope of good performance