[petsc-users] Issue with single precision complex numbers in petsc4py

Peng Sun psun at outlook.com
Wed Oct 12 18:13:42 CDT 2022

Dear PETSc community,

I have a question regarding the single precision complex numbers of petsc4py.  I configured PETSc with the “--with-scalar-type=complex --with-precision=single" option before compiling, but all the DA structures I created with petsc4py had double precision.

Here is a minimum test code on Python 3.8/PETSc 3.12/petsc4py 3.12: both print commands show data type of complex128.  Could anybody please help me?  Thanks!

import petsc4py
import sys
petsc4py.init(sys.argv)
from petsc4py import PETSc

da=PETSc.DA().create(sizes=[2,2,2],dof=1,stencil_type=0,stencil_width=1,boundary_type=1)
da_1 = da.createGlobalVec()
print(petsc4py.PETSc.ComplexType)
print(da_1.getArray().dtype)

Best regards,