[petsc-users] MSPIN

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:47:23 CDT 2022

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 5:37 PM Alexander Lindsay <alexlindsay239 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know that PETSc has native support for ASPIN. Has anyone tried MSPIN? I
> wouldn't be surprised if someone has implemented it in user code. Wondering
> what the barriers would be to creating an option like `-snes_type mspin` ?

David Keyes, LuLu Liu,  and collaborators have several papers on MSPIN. It
does work well in many circumstances.

ASPIN is easy for PETSc because it only involves generating sub-Jacobians.
MSPIN needs nonlinear subsystems.
This is not possible with the traditional PETSc SNES callback interface.

It is just barely possible using all the experimental stuff in Plex. You
need the ability to subset the domain, setup a
nonlinear problem with the same equations and boundary conditions (and
normally homogeneous Dirichlet on the
internal boundary), and usually linearizations of this subproblem. This
means abstractions for the mesh, equations,
boundary conditions, and linearizations that can be transferred onto a new
subdomain.