[petsc-users] Regarding the status of MatSolve on GPUs

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Thu Oct 6 14:31:40 CDT 2022

Hi PETSc-developers,

Does PETSc currently provide (either native or third party support) for
MatSolve that can be performed entirely on a GPU given a factored matrix?
i.e. a direct solver that would store the factors L and U on the device and
use the GPU to solve the linear system. It does not matter if the GPU is
not used for the factorization as we intend to solve the same linear system
for 100s of iterations and thus try to prevent GPU->CPU transfers for the
MatSolve phase.

Currently, I've built PETSc at main (commit 9c433d, 10/03) with
superlu-dist at develop, both of which are configured with CUDA. With this,
I'm seeing that each call to PCApply/MatSolve involves one GPU->CPU
transfer. Is it possible to avoid this?

Thank You,
Sajid Ali (he/him) | Research Associate
Scientific Computing Division