[petsc-users] About Q3 tensor product Hermite element

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 07:50:59 CST 2022

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 4:39 PM Duan Junming via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear all,

I'm sorry. This email got lost in my inbox.

> I need to use Q3 tensor product Hermite element in 2D (point value,
> gradient, and mixed derivative at 4 vertices in a cell as unknowns).
>
> Is it available in PETSc FEM module now? I found that only Lagrange
> element is available.

We have elements that have moments and evaluations as dofs, so also Hdiv,
Hcurl, etc. However, you are right that we do not
have derivative dofs builtin. I have created them by hand before.

> If not, what is the correct path to implement Q3 tensor product Hermite
> element?
>
> I think I should create my own petscspace and petscdualspace?

You can probably use the PetscSpace polynomial class. You would need a
PetscDualSpace that used derivative dofs.
When I did this before, I just made an FD approximation with a quadrature
rule. Toby might have a nicer way to
differentiate the basis now.

> Or is there any package that has already provided this?

Firedrake has them, but only on simplices.