[petsc-users] PetscSF Object on Distributed DMPlex for Halo Data Exchange

Toby Isaac toby.isaac at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:07:46 CDT 2022

The PetscSF that is created automatically is the "point sf" (
https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/DM/DMGetPointSF/): it says which
mesh points (cells, faces, edges and vertices) are duplicates of others.

In a finite volume application we typically want to assign degrees of
freedom just to cells: some applications may only have one degree of
freedom, others may have multiple.

You encode where you want degrees of freedom in a PetscSection and set that
as the section for the DM in DMSetLocalSection() (
https://petsc.org/release/docs/manualpages/DM/DMSetLocalSection.html)

(A c example of these steps that sets degrees of freedom for *vertices*
instead of cells is `src/dm/impls/plex/tutorials/ex7.c`)

After that you can call DMGetSectionSF() (
https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/DM/DMGetSectionSF/) to the the
PetscSF that you want for halo exchange: the one for your solution
variables.

After that, the only calls you typically need in a finite volume code is
PetscSFBcastBegin() to start a halo exchange and PetscSFBcastEnd() to
complete it.

You say

> What I want to do is to exchange data (probably just MPI_Reduce)

which confuses me, because halo exchange is a point-to-point exchange and
not a reduction.  Can you clarify?