[petsc-users] Regarding the status of VecSetValues(Blocked) for GPU vectors

Sajid Ali Syed sasyed at fnal.gov
Fri Mar 18 10:28:37 CDT 2022

Hi Matt/Mark,

I'm working on a Poisson solver for a distributed PIC code, where the particles are distributed over MPI ranks rather than the grid. Prior to the solve, all particles are deposited onto a (DMDA) grid.

The current prototype I have is that each rank holds a full size DMDA vector and particles on that rank are deposited into it. Then, the data from all the local vectors in combined into multiple distributed DMDA vectors via VecScatters and this is followed by solving the Poisson equation. The need to have multiple subcomms, each solving the same equation is due to the fact that the grid size too small to use all the MPI ranks (beyond the strong scaling limit). The solution is then scattered back to each MPI rank via VecScatters.

This first local-to-(multi)global transfer required the use of multiple VecScatters as there is no one-to-multiple scatter capability in SF. This works and is already giving a large speedup over the current allreduce baseline (which transfers more data than is necessary) which is currently used.

I was wondering if within each subcommunicator I could directly write to the DMDA vector via VecSetValues and PETSc would take care of stashing them on the GPU until I call VecAssemblyBegin. Since this would be from within a kokkos parallel_for operation, there would be multiple (probably ~1e3) simultaneous writes that the stashing mechanism would have to support. Currently, we use Kokkos-ScatterView to do this.

Thank You,
Sajid Ali (he/him) | Research Associate
Scientific Computing Division
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory