[petsc-users] Question about SuperLU

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Jun 10 08:32:01 CDT 2022

  It is difficult to tell exactly how the preconditioner is being formed with the information below it looks like in the

first case: the original B diagonal block and V diagonal block of the matrix are being factored separately with SuperLU_DIST

second case: the B block is factored with SuperLU_DIST and an explicit approximation to a Schur complement of the V block (Schur complement on eliminating the B block) is formed using "Preconditioner for the Schur complement formed from Sp, an assembled approximation to S, which uses A00's %sdiagonal's inverse" (this is the printout from a KSPView() for this part of the preconditioner).

  My guess is you have a "Stokes"-like problem where the V block is identically 0 so, of course, the SuperLU_DIST will fail on it. But the approximation of the Schur complement onto that block is not singular so SuperLU_DIST has no trouble. If I am wrong and the V block is not identically 0 then it may be singular (or possibly, but less likely just badly order) so that SuperLU_DIST encounters a zero pivot.

  You can run with -ksp_view_pre to have the KSP print the KSP solver algorithm details BEFORE the linear solve (hence they would get printed despite your failed solve). That would be useful to see exactly what your preconditioner is.

   You can use -ksp_view_pmat (with appropriate prefix) to display the matrix that is going to be factored. Thus you can quickly verify what V is.

  If you run with -ksp_error_if_not_converged then the solver will stop exactly when the zero pivot is encountered; this would include some information from SuperLU_DIST which might include the row number etc.

  Notes on PETSc improvements needed.

1) The man page for KSPCheckSolve() is terribly misleading

2) It would be nice to have a view that displayed the nested fieldsplit preconditioners more clearly