[petsc-users] Load mesh as DMPlex along with Solution Fields obtained from External Codes

Mike Michell mi.mike1021 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:14:31 CDT 2022

Dear PETSc developer team,

I am a user of PETSc DMPlex for a finite-volume solver. So far, I have
loaded a mesh file made by Gmsh as a DMPlex object without pre-computed
solution field.
But what if I need to load the mesh as well as solution fields that are
computed by other codes sharing the same physical domain, what is a smart
way to do that? In other words, how can I load a DM object from a mesh file
along with a defined solution field?
I can think of that; load mesh to a DM object first, then declare a local
(or global) vector to read & map the external solution field onto the PETSc
data structure. But I can feel that this might not be the best way.

Thanks,
Mike