[petsc-users] Questions regarding nested field split

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Feb 25 15:16:23 CST 2022

  For parallel layouts generally each MPI rank (parallel process) will have roughly the same number of indices for each field. So you would not end up with entire fields on one or a small number of processes. This is done by using interlaced (check the docs) storage of variables rather by having all of the first type of variable, followed by all the second type of variable etc.

  For parallel domain decomposition based preconditioners one usually uses PCBJACOBI or PCASM which can automatically split the unknowns by rank.

  Barry