[petsc-users] Development enquiry

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 8 10:06:50 CST 2022

Let me take a shot at this,

* Using my nomenclature, you want a forest (unstructured coarse grid) of, I
guess tri-trees in 2D and quad-trees in 3D. Or a non-conforming  AMR grid
with simplices.
* We have support for quad/oct trees, tensor grids, (p4est) and single
level tensor, Cartesian grids, but no 60/120 degree grids.
* It sounds like you do your own AMR and want to use PETSc for solvers. In
that case I can only see using an unstructured (CSR) matrix with
constraints added for "hanging" nodes. And then use AMG solvers.
* Developing your own MG solvers a doable, but its a big project. Like a
Ph.D. dissertation. Our team members have done this but I don't think any
of these solvers are in the library.
* We do have a p4est mesh class, Forest, that deals with the mesh
management of these forest of oct-trees, but I don't believe we have mesh
coarsening for this.
* About 6 years ago the p4est developer told me he was working on your kind
of simplex forest of trees, but I don't know how that progressed and PETSc
does not have an interface to it anyway.

Thanks,
Mark