[petsc-users] gamg out of memory with gpu

Edoardo Centofanti edoardo.centofanti01 at universitadipavia.it
Mon Dec 26 03:41:37 CST 2022

Hi PETSc Users,

I am experimenting some issues with the GAMG precondtioner when used with
GPU.
In particular, it seems to go out of memory very easily (around 5000
dofs are enough to make it throw the "[0]PETSC ERROR: cuda error 2
(cudaErrorMemoryAllocation) : out of memory" error).
I have these issues both with single and multiple GPUs (on the same or on
different nodes). The exact same problems work like a charm with HYPRE
BoomerAMG on GPUs.
With both preconditioners I exploit the device acceleration by giving the
usual command line options "-dm_vec_type cuda" and "-dm_mat_type
aijcusparse" (I am working with structured meshes). My PETSc version is
3.17.

Is this a known issue of the GAMG preconditioner?

Thank you in advance,
Edoardo