[petsc-users] SNES and TS for nonlinear quasi-static problems

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 06:46:31 CST 2022

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 6:12 AM TARDIEU Nicolas via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear PETSc users,
>
> I plan to solve nonlinear quasi-static problems with PETSc. More
> precisely, these are solid mechanics problems with elasto-plasticity.
> So they do not involve  "physical time", rather  "pseudo time", which is
> mandatory to describe the stepping of the loading application.
> In general, the loading vector F(x, t) is expressed as the following
> product  F(x, t)=F0(x)*g(t), where g is a scalar function of the
> pseudo-time.
>
> I see how to use a SNES in order to solve a certain step of the loading
> history but I wonder if a TS can be used to deal with the loading history
> through the definition of this g(t) function ?

I believe so. We would want you to formulate it as a differential equation,

  F(x, \dot x, t) = G(x)

which is your case is easy

  F(x, t) = 0

so you would just put your function completely into the IFunction. Since
there is no \dot x term, this is a DAE,
and you need to use one of the solvers for that.

> Furthermore, since too large load steps can lead to non-convergence, a
> stepping strategy is almost always required to restart a load step that
> failed. Does TS offer such a feature ?

I think you can use PETSc adaptation. There is a PID option, which might be
able to capture your behavior.