[petsc-users] Modifying Entries Tied to Specific Points in Finite Element Stiffness Matrix using DMPlex

Hongrui Yu yuhongrui at utexas.edu
Thu Dec 8 17:06:43 CST 2022

Hello! I'm trying to adapt a serial Finite Element code using PETSc. In this
code it reads in special stiffness terms between the boundary DoFs from an
input file, and add them to corresponding locations in the global Jacobian
matrix. I currently use a DM Plex object to store the mesh information. My
understanding is that once the DM is distributed its points are renumbered
across different ranks. I wonder if there is a good way to find the
corresponding entries that needs to be modified in the global Jacobian
matrix?

For Vectors I'm currently creating a Natural Vector and simply do
DMPlexNaturalToGlobal. Is there a way to create a "Natural Mat" just like
"Natural Vector" and then do some sort of NaturalToGlobal for this Mat?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Kevin