[petsc-users] DMLabel Synchronize

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 06:44:54 CDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 6:37 PM Nicholas Arnold-Medabalimi <
narnoldm at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for all the help. I'm looking to tag several cells based on metrics
> occurring at run time. In addition to the metric-defined cells I also want
> to label the surrounding cells. This is no problem as I can traverse the
> DMPlex chart to get the neighboring cells. The issue only arises if an
> identified cell is on a partition boundary. this leads to the neighbor
> cell in the overlap halo being tagged. However, the root cell on the
> adjacent partition is not tagged. Is there a built-in way to synchronize
> the labels from the leafs to the roots?
>
> Right now, I iterate through the root and leaf cells of each processor,
> but it is somewhat wasteful as I don't see a way for the root cell
> partition to know if a corresponding leaf cell label value without
> communicating it first.

What I think you want is this:

  https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/DMLabel/DMLabelPropagateBegin/

I use this to do the same kind of labeling I think. It is setup to allow
multiple rounds,
so that you can use the communicated labeling to continue on the new rank.

Will this work?