[petsc-users] Combining DMDA and DMStag

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Apr 22 09:04:10 CDT 2022

   We would need more details as to exactly what goes wrong to determine any kind of fix; my guess would be that the layout of the velocity vectors and temperature vectors is slightly different since the DMDA uses nelx+1 while the stag uses nelx and may split things up slightly differently in parallel. You could try very small problems with say 2 or 4 ranks and put known values into the vectors and look at the ghost point update locations and exact locations in the local and global vectors to make sure everything is where you expect it to be.

  There is also the possibility of using a DMStag for the temperature instead of DMDA since DMDA provides essentially a subset of the functionality of DMDA to get a more consistent layout of the unknowns in the two vectors.

  Finally, one could use a single DMStag with all the unknowns but treat subvectors of the unknowns differently in your discretization and solve process. So assign velocity values (I guess) to the cell faces and temperature to the cell vertices, this will give consistent parallel decomposition of values but you will have to manage the fact that the unknowns are interlaced into a single vector so your solver portions of the code may need to "pull" out appropriate subvectors.

  Barry