[petsc-users] Starting in debugger

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Sun Apr 17 10:12:34 CDT 2022

  Is the error of the form?

Attaching to program: /Users/barrysmith/Src/petsc/src/snes/tutorials/ex19, process 79461
Unable to find Mach task port for process-id 79461: (os/kern) failure (0x5).
 (please check gdb is codesigned - see taskgated(8))
/Users/barrysmith/79461: No such file or directory.

 These errors have nothing to do with PETSc. It is a security feature of MacOS that makes it difficult to have random programs access other running programs.

There are two ways around this.

1) codesign gdb. I found some instructions on how to give gdb the correct permissions. https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/PermissionsDarwin I have not followed them since they are rather convoluted; I am puzzled why brew doesn't automatically sign the gdb it installed.

2) Skip the codesigning. Just do -start_in_debugger -with-debug="sudo gdb" or run ./configure with --with-debugger="sudo gdb".

When I use GDB on Mac OS 12.3.1 I get the error message from gdb

warning: unhandled dyld version (17)

This is because the brew gdb release has not been fully updated for the latest MacOS release.

But you might not have this version of MacOS. I suggest you just try the -with-debug="sudo gdb" and see if it works for you before switching over to Linux.