[petsc-users] Allocating the diagonal for MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation

Samuel Estes samuelestes91 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:07:58 CDT 2022

Thank you for all the help. I think I'm mostly clear now.

I think my only remaining question relates to point 1:
So let's call the global matrix across all processors A and let's say it's
a square matrix of size n. Then each processor has a subset of the rows of
A so that there's in principle a contiguous rectangular chunk of A on each
proc. Now we want to use this preallocator matrix to determine the non-zero
structure of each processors chunk of A. Let's call this matrix P. You say
that P should also be square. But I would think that, at least locally, P
should be rectangular on each proc and basically have the same size as the
local chunks of A. Do you mean that P is square when considered globally
across all processors? I guess my question is a bit subtle, but basically,
is P essentially a parallel Mat type which exists nominally across all
procs, or is it a serial type object which is local to each proc? I think I
was viewing it in the second way since it doesn't obviously require
communication but I guess if you consider it in the first way it makes
sense that it would be nxn.