[petsc-users] Possibilities to VecScatter to a sparse Vector-Format

Hannes Phil Niklas Brandt s6hsbran at uni-bonn.de
Thu Sep 30 08:39:00 CDT 2021

Hello,

I      intend to compute a parallel Matrix-Vector-Product (via MPI) and
     therefore would like to scatter the entries of the input MPI-Vec v
     to      a local vector containing all entries relevant to the current
     process.

To        achieve this I tried defining        a VecScatter, which
       scatters        from v        to a sequential Vec        v_seq (each
process has it's own version of v_seq). However,        storing v_seq (which
has one        entry for each global row, thus        containing a large
amount of        zero-entries)        may demand too        much storage
space (in        comparison to my data-sparse Matrix-Storage-Format).

I        am interested in possibilities to scatter v to a sparse Vec-type
       to avoid storing unnecessary large        amounts of
       zero-entries. Is there a sparse Vector format in Petsc
       compatible to        the VecScatter procedure        or is there
another efficient way to compute        Matrix-Vector-Products
       without usinglarge amounts        of storage space on each process?

Best      Regards
     Hannes      Brandt