[petsc-users] Memory usage

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 29 05:16:45 CDT 2021

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 4:40 AM Karthikeyan Chockalingam - STFC UKRI <
karthikeyan.chockalingam at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I used the flags  -memory_view -malloc_log   to ran a problem on the same
> size on 32 cores and 64 cores.
>

> I understand what is total, max and min memory usage of the problem is.

Total is the sum of all 32/62 processes. Max is, as it says "Maximum (over
computational time)"

> However I don’t understand the difference between Maximum and Current
> process memory?

Current memory usage does not include some earlier high water mark in
memory usage.

> I also curious to understand why the memory usage is different on 32 cores
> (1 node, 2 sockets with 16 cores/socket) and 64 cores (2 nodes) for a
> problem of the same size?

There is some data and metadata that is stored redundantly on each process.