[petsc-users] How to construct DMPlex of cells with different topological dimension?

袁煕 yuanxi at advancesoft.jp
Wed Oct 27 03:49:39 CDT 2021

Hi,

I am trying to parallelize my serial FEM program using PETSc. This program
calculates structure deformation by using various types of elements such as
solid, shell, beam, and truss. At the very beginning, I found it was hard
for me to put such kinds of elements into DMPlex. Because solid elements
are topologically three dimensional, shell element two, and beam or truss
are topologically one-dimensional elements. After reading chapter 2.10:
"DMPlex: Unstructured Grids in PETSc" of users manual carefully,  I found
the provided functions, such as DMPlexSetCone, cannot declare those
topological differences.

My question is : Is it possible and how to define all those topologically
different elements into a DMPlex struct?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Yuan.