[petsc-users] Question regarding DMPlex reordering

Pierre Seize pierre.seize at onera.fr
Wed Oct 27 02:15:53 CDT 2021

On 26/10/21 22:28, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 10:17 AM Pierre Seize <pierre.seize at onera.fr
> <mailto:pierre.seize at onera.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, I had the idea to try and renumber my mesh cells, as I've
>     heard it's better: "neighbouring cells are stored next to one
>     another, and memory access are faster".
>
>     Right now, I load the mesh then I distribute it over the
>     processes. I thought I'd try to permute the numbering between
>     those two steps :
>
>         DMPlexCreateFromFile
>         DMPlexGetOrdering
>         DMPlexPermute
>         DMPlexDistribute
>
>     but that gives me an error when it runs on more than one process:
>
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: No support for this operation for this object type
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: Number of dofs for point 0 in the local section
>     should be positive
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: See https://petsc.org/release/faq/ for trouble
>     shooting.
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.16.0, unknown
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: ./build/bin/yanss on a  named ldmpe202z.onera by
>     pseize Tue Oct 26 16:03:33 2021
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --PETSC_ARCH=arch-ld-gcc
>     --download-metis --download-parmetis --prefix=~/.local --with-cgns
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: #1 PetscPartitionerDMPlexPartition() at
>     /stck/pseize/softwares/petsc/src/dm/impls/plex/plexpartition.c:720
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: #2 DMPlexDistribute() at
>     /stck/pseize/softwares/petsc/src/dm/impls/plex/plexdistribute.c:1630
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: #3 MeshLoadFromFile() at src/spatial.c:689
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: #4 main() at src/main.c:22
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: PETSc Option Table entries:
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: -draw_comp 0
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: -mesh data/box.msh
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: -mesh_view draw
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: -riemann anrs
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: -ts_max_steps 100
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: -vec_view_partition
>     [0]PETSC ERROR: ----------------End of Error Message -------send
>     entire error message to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
>     <mailto:petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov>----------
>
>     I checked and before I tried to reorder the mesh, the
>     dm->localSection was NULL before entering DMPlexDistribute, and I
>     was able to fix the error with DMSetLocalSection(dm, NULL) after
>     DMPlexPermute, but it doesn't seems it's the right way to do what
>     I want. Does someone have any advice ?
>
> Oh, this is probably me trying to be too clever. If a local section is
> defined, then I try to use the number of dofs in it to load balance
> better.
> There should never be a negative number of dofs in the local section
> (a global section uses this to indicate a dof owned by another process).
> So eliminating the local section will definitely fix that error.
>
> Now the question of how you got a local section. DMPlexPermute()  does
> not create one, so it seems like you had one ahead of time, and that
> the values were not valid.

DMPlexPermute calls DMGetLocalSection, which creates dm->localSection if
it's NULL, so before DMPlexPermute my dm->localSection is NULL, and
after it is set. Because of that I enter the if in
src/dm/impls/plex/plexpartition.c:707 and then I got the error.
If i have a "wrong" dm->localSection, I think it has to come from
DMPlexPermute.

> Note that you can probably get rid of some of the loading code using
>
>   DMCreate(comm, &dm);
>   DMSetType(dm, DMPLEX);
>   DMSetFromOptions(dm);
>   DMViewFromOptions(dm, NULL, "-mesh_view");
>
> and use
>
>   -dm_plex_filename databox,msh -mesh_view

My loading code is already small, but just to make sure I wrote this
minimal example:

int main(int argc, char **argv){
   PetscErrorCode ierr;

   ierr = PetscInitialize(&argc, &argv, NULL, help); if (ierr) return ierr;

   DM dm, foo_dm;
   ierr = DMCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &dm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
   ierr = DMSetType(dm, DMPLEX); CHKERRQ(ierr);
   ierr = DMSetFromOptions(dm); CHKERRQ(ierr);

   IS perm;
   ierr = DMPlexGetOrdering(dm, NULL, NULL, &perm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
   ierr = DMPlexPermute(dm, perm, &foo_dm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
   if (foo_dm) {
     ierr = DMDestroy(&dm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
     dm = foo_dm;
   }
   ierr = DMPlexDistribute(dm, 2, NULL, &foo_dm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
   if (foo_dm) {
     ierr = DMDestroy(&dm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
     dm = foo_dm;
   }

   ierr = ISDestroy(&perm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
   ierr = DMDestroy(&dm); CHKERRQ(ierr);
   ierr = PetscFinalize();
   return ierr;
}

ran with mpiexec -n 2 ./build/bin/yanss -dm_plex_filename data/box.msh.
The mesh is a 2D box from GMSH but I've got the same result with any
mesh I've tried. It runs fine with 1 process but gives the previous
error for more processes.

Pierre