[petsc-users] TS initial guess

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Oct 15 13:50:49 CDT 2021

Some methods have extrapolation options. For THETA (which includes backward Euler as theta=1), you can use -ts_theta_initial_guess_extrapolate.

This type of extrapolation is sometimes unstable or may produce an invalid state, such as negative density.

I'm assuming in your question that you're concerned about the number of Newton iterations rather than number of Krylov iterations.