[petsc-users] HDF5 timestepping in PETSc 3.16

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 13 22:19:34 CDT 2021

hi

I am just testing out PETSc 3.16 and making the necessary changes to my
code. Amongst other things I now have to add a
PetscViewerHDF5PushTimestepping() call before starting to output
time-dependent results to HDF5 using a PetscViewer.

I now also have to add this call before reading in sets of previously
computed time-dependent results (for restarting a simulation from the
results of a previous run).

The problem with this is that if I try to read in the results of any
previous run, computed with an earlier version of PETSc (< 3.16), an
error is raised because the time-dependent datasets in the file do not
have the 'timestepping' attribute.

Is there something else I need to do to make this work?

- Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher
Senior Research Fellow