[petsc-users] HDF5 time step count

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 10 17:50:45 CDT 2021

hi

Is there any way to query the PETSc HDF5 viewer to find the number of
time steps in the file?

A common use case I have is that an HDF5 file from a previous simulation
is used to get initial conditions for a subsequent run. The most common
thing you want to do is restart from the last set of results in the
previous output. To do that you need to know how many time steps there
are, so you can set the output index to be the last one.

I thought maybe I could just query the size of the "time" dataset, but I
can't even see any obvious way to do that using the viewer functions.

Regards, Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher
Senior Research Fellow