[petsc-users] [petsc-maint] Performing a coordinate system rotation for the stiffness matrix

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon May 31 11:33:48 CDT 2021

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 11:12 AM Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Mike
>
> as long as P is a sparse matrix with compatible rows and cols (i.e.
> rows(P)= cols(A) = rows (A)) , MatPtAP will compute the result.

Stefano and Mark are correct. This will work.

I implemented the same thing in my code in a different way. I put this
transformation into the mapping between local and global vector spaces. The
global degrees of
freedom are the ones you want for boundary conditions (normal and
tangential to the boundary), and I eliminate the ones that are constrained.
The local degrees of
freedom are the normal Caresian ones, and these are used for assembly. The
map is used when I execute DMGlobalToLocal() and DMLocalToGlobal(). There
is an
example of me doing this in SNES ex71, Poiseuille flow in a tilted channel.