[petsc-users] DMPlex from periodic Gmsh and ghost cells

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Wed May 19 03:36:26 CDT 2021

Hello Matt,

Le mar. 18 mai 2021 à 20:31, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
> thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Matthew,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your quick answer, as always !
>>

> Cool.
>

>> Le mar. 18 mai 2021 à 17:46, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> a
>> écrit :

>>> Thanks for the example. I have run this myself.  It looks to me like the
>>> mesh you are providing. Has no boundary. It is doubly periodic (a torus).
>>> When I tell ConstructGhostCells() to
>>> create a label for the boundary, rather than using "Face Sets", it
>>> creates an empty label because no faces have only 1 neighbor.
>>>

>> Yes indeed, up is down and right is left for this mesh, the idea being of
>> emulating an infinite medium.
>> So you manage to get through ConstructGhostCells without a segfault ?
>> What did you specify instead of PETSC_NULL_CHARACTER ?
>>

> The NULL tells it to use the label "Face Sets", but that label coming from
> Gmsh marks edges that are not actually boundaries. I asked PETSc
> to create a boundary label named "marker" using
> https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DMPLEX/DMPlexMarkBoundaryFaces.html
> It was empty, but everything goes through fine.

OK thanks ! I had to write the F90 wrapper for DMLabelCreate but aside from
that, everything indeed goes through fine with the ConstructGhostCells.

>> Also, does it still create a « ghost » label even if it’s empty ?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> Do you think that will hold for later uses in the GetFaceFields and
>> similar routines ?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> I read through the source and it seems it won’t like it much if there are
>> no ghost at all, but since I did not pass the ConstructGhostCell step I’m
>> not sure.
>>

> It should work fine, you just will not need boundary conditions.

Actually, there is an issue with the corner cells. My mesh is periodic in
both directions and it turns out the corner cells accumulate way too much
numerical flux and the computation crashes after 4 iterations or so - it
happens both with quads and tris. Whether I use my version of the RHS
computing routine or the DMPlexTSComputeRHSFunctionFVM leads to the same
crash.
I'll keep investigating, but if you have any idea what could go wrong ...

Thanks !!

Thibault