[petsc-users] DMPlex from periodic Gmsh and ghost cells

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:30:58 CDT 2021

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thank you very much for your quick answer, as always !

Cool.

> Le mar. 18 mai 2021 à 17:46, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 5:19 AM Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
>> thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am playing around with creating DMPlex from a periodic Gmsh mesh
>>> (still in the same finite volume code that solves the Euler equations)
>>> because I want to run some classical periodic test cases from the
>>> literature (like convecting a vortex and so on).
>>> I got from the mailing list and the examples that I gotta use
>>> -dm_plex_gmsh_periodic for the reader and the DM creator to do their job
>>> properly and read the $Periodic section from the Gmsh mesh. That works
>>> fine, I can write the DM in HDF5 format afterwards and the periodicity is
>>> clearly there (i can see in Paraview that opposite sides are "attached" to
>>> each other).
>>> Now, in the context of the finite volume solver, I wrote my one
>>> right-hand side term computing routine, and I rely heavily on routines such
>>> as DMPlexGetFaceFields. Those routines, in turn rely on the ghost cells and
>>> ... I am having an issue with DMPlexConstructGhostCells. When I use
>>> -dm_plex_gmsh_periodic, DMPlexCreateFromFile works fine,
>>> DMSetBasicAdjacency(dm, true, false) works fine, DMPlexDistribute works
>>> fine, but when I get to DMPlexConstructGhostCells, I get
>>>
>>>  "DM has boundary face 2048 with 2 support cells"
>>>
>>> I understand the DM begin periodic, even the "boundary" faces have two
>>> neighbors because of the topological folding, so ... yeah, the ghost cells
>>> cannot really exist. But then how can I proceed ? Because I need that
>>> "ghost" label for all the routines I call from the RHS computing routine ...
>>>

>> Thanks for the example. I have run this myself.  It looks to me like the
>> mesh you are providing. Has no boundary. It is doubly periodic (a torus).
>> When I tell ConstructGhostCells() to
>> create a label for the boundary, rather than using "Face Sets", it
>> creates an empty label because no faces have only 1 neighbor.
>>

> Yes indeed, up is down and right is left for this mesh, the idea being of
> emulating an infinite medium.
> So you manage to get through ConstructGhostCells without a segfault ? What
> did you specify instead of PETSC_NULL_CHARACTER ?

The NULL tells it to use the label "Face Sets", but that label coming from
Gmsh marks edges that are not actually boundaries. I asked PETSc
to create a boundary label named "marker" using
https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DMPLEX/DMPlexMarkBoundaryFaces.html
It was empty, but everything goes through fine.

> Also, does it still create a « ghost » label even if it’s empty ?

Yes.

> Do you think that will hold for later uses in the GetFaceFields and
> similar routines ?

Yes.

> I read through the source and it seems it won’t like it much if there are
> no ghost at all, but since I did not pass the ConstructGhostCell step I’m
> not sure.

It should work fine, you just will not need boundary conditions.