[petsc-users] DMPlex overlap

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 11:57:02 CDT 2021

Okay, let me show a really simple example that gives the expected result
before I figure out what is going wrong for you. This code

static char help[] = "Tests plex distribution and overlaps.\n";

#include <petsc/private/dmpleximpl.h>

int main (int argc, char * argv[]) {
  DM                    dm;
  MPI_Comm       comm;
  PetscErrorCode ierr;

  ierr = PetscInitialize(&argc, &argv, NULL, help);if (ierr) return ierr;
  comm = PETSC_COMM_WORLD;

  ierr = DMPlexCreateBoxMesh(comm, 2, PETSC_TRUE, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
PETSC_TRUE, &dm);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = DMSetFromOptions(dm);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = PetscObjectSetName((PetscObject) dm, "Initial DM");CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = DMViewFromOptions(dm, NULL, "-initial_dm_view");CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = DMDestroy(&dm);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = PetscFinalize();
  return ierr;
}

can do all the overlap tests. For example, you can run it naively and get a
serial mesh

master *:~/Downloads/tmp/Nicolas$ /PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/mpiexec -n 2
./test_overlap -initial_dm_view -dm_plex_box_faces 5,5
DM Object: Initial DM 2 MPI processes
  type: plex
Initial DM in 2 dimensions:
  0-cells: 36 0
  1-cells: 85 0
  2-cells: 50 0
Labels:
  celltype: 3 strata with value/size (0 (36), 3 (50), 1 (85))
  depth: 3 strata with value/size (0 (36), 1 (85), 2 (50))
  marker: 1 strata with value/size (1 (40))
  Face Sets: 1 strata with value/size (1 (20))

Then run it telling Plex to distribute after creating the mesh

master *:~/Downloads/tmp/Nicolas$ /PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/mpiexec -n 2
./test_overlap -initial_dm_view -dm_plex_box_faces 5,5 -dm_distribute
DM Object: Initial DM 2 MPI processes
  type: plex
Initial DM in 2 dimensions:
  0-cells: 21 21
  1-cells: 45 45
  2-cells: 25 25
Labels:
  depth: 3 strata with value/size (0 (21), 1 (45), 2 (25))
  celltype: 3 strata with value/size (0 (21), 1 (45), 3 (25))
  marker: 1 strata with value/size (1 (21))
  Face Sets: 1 strata with value/size (1 (10))

The get the same thing back with overlap = 0

master *:~/Downloads/tmp/Nicolas$ /PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/mpiexec -n 2
./test_overlap -initial_dm_view -dm_plex_box_faces 5,5 -dm_distribute
-dm_distribute_overlap 0
DM Object: Initial DM 2 MPI processes
  type: plex
Initial DM in 2 dimensions:
  0-cells: 21 21
  1-cells: 45 45
  2-cells: 25 25
Labels:
  depth: 3 strata with value/size (0 (21), 1 (45), 2 (25))
  celltype: 3 strata with value/size (0 (21), 1 (45), 3 (25))
  marker: 1 strata with value/size (1 (21))
  Face Sets: 1 strata with value/size (1 (10))

and get larger local meshes with overlap = 1

master *:~/Downloads/tmp/Nicolas$ /PETSc3/petsc/apple/bin/mpiexec -n 2
./test_overlap -initial_dm_view -dm_plex_box_faces 5,5 -dm_distribute
-dm_distribute_overlap 1
DM Object: Initial DM 2 MPI processes
  type: plex
Initial DM in 2 dimensions:
  0-cells: 29 29
  1-cells: 65 65
  2-cells: 37 37
Labels:
  depth: 3 strata with value/size (0 (29), 1 (65), 2 (37))
  celltype: 3 strata with value/size (0 (29), 1 (65), 3 (37))
  marker: 1 strata with value/size (1 (27))
  Face Sets: 1 strata with value/size (1 (13))