[petsc-users] DMPlex overlap

Nicolas Barral nicolas.barral at math.u-bordeaux.fr
Sat Mar 27 08:27:01 CDT 2021

Hi all,

First, I'm not sure I understand what the overlap parameter in
DMPlexDistributeOverlap does. I tried the following: generate a small
mesh on 1 rank with DMPlexCreateBoxMesh, then distribute it with
DMPlexDistribute. At this point I have two nice partitions, with shared
vertices and no overlapping cells. Then I call DMPlexDistributeOverlap
with the overlap parameter set to 0 or 1, and get the same resulting
plex in both cases. Why is that ?

Second, I'm wondering what would be a good way to handle two overlaps
and associated local vectors. In my adaptation code, the remeshing
library requires a non-overlapping mesh, while the refinement criterion
computation is based on hessian computations, which require a layer of
overlap. What I can do is clone the dm before distributing the overlap,
then manage two independent plex objects with their own local sections
etc. and copy/trim local vectors manually. Is there a more automatic way
to do this ?

Thanks

--
Nicolas