[petsc-users] Local Discontinuous Galerkin with PETSc TS

Salazar De Troya, Miguel salazardetro1 at llnl.gov
Tue Mar 23 10:54:26 CDT 2021

The calculation of p1 and p2 are done by solving an element-wise local problem using u^n. I guess I could embed this calculation inside of the calculation for G = H(p1, p2). However, I am hoping to be able to solve the problem using firedrake-ts so the formulation is all clearly in one place and in variational form. Reading the manual, Section 2.5.2 DAE formulations, the Hessenberg Index-1 DAE case seems to be what I need, although it is not clear to me how one can achieve this with an IMEX scheme. If I have:

                F(U', U, t) = G(t,U)
                p1 = f(u_x)
                p2 = g(u_x)
                u' - H(p1, p2) =  0

where U = (p1, p2, u), F(U’, U, t) = [p1, p2, u’ - H(p1, p2)],] and G(t, U) = [f(u_x), g(u_x), 0], is there a solver strategy that will solve for p1 and p2 first and then use that to solve the last equation? The jacobian for F in this formulation would be

dF/dU = [[M, 0, 0],
                [0, M, 0],
                [H'(p1), H'(p2), \sigma*M]]

where M is a mass matrix, H'(p1) is the jacobian of H(p1, p2) w.r.t. p1 and H'(p2), the jacobian of H(p1, p2) w.r.t. p2. H'(p1) and H'(p2) are unnecessary for the solver strategy I want to implement.

Thanks
Miguel