[petsc-users] funny link error

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Mar 22 13:44:04 CDT 2021

> On Mar 22, 2021, at 12:19 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 12:16 PM Scott Kruger <kruger at txcorp.com <mailto:kruger at txcorp.com>> wrote:
>
> The short answer is $PETSC_INSTALL_DIR/lib/pkgconfig/PETSc.pc
>
> Attached is a PETSc CMake snippet that should show you how to use
> pkg-config.
>
> It also shows how to set the compilers to the same as PETSc's for build
> consistency, but this part is not strictly necessary (but perhaps a good
> idea).
>
> FYI, Barry has been pushing to get a CMake build example as part of the
> test harness with the help of Jed and myself, but the Windows issues
> have been a real hold-up.
>
> Also, letting people go over a cliff is one thing, but pointing them over is another ;)

   We when see people racing to the cliff in their fast broken cars we need to have a nice gentle reliable donkey to point them to to get them down the cmake cliff. This does not mean we are advocating the donkey, it is just there to break the fall of those determined to plunge off the cliff regardless of the warnings they get.