[petsc-users] MUMPS failure

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Mar 22 13:39:47 CDT 2021

   Version of PETSc and MUMPS? We fixed a bug in MUMPs a couple years ago that produced error messages as below. Please confirm you are using the latest PETSc and MUMPS.

   You can run your production version with the option -malloc_debug ; this will slow it down a bit but if there is memory corruption it may detect it and indicate the problematic error.

    One also has to be careful about the size of the problem passed to MUMPs since PETSc/MUMPs does not fully support using all 64 bit integers. Is it only crashing for problems near 2 billion entries in the sparse matrix?

     valgrind is the gold standard for detecting memory corruption.

Barry