[petsc-users] Petsc on AMD EPYC

Blaise A Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Fri Mar 19 11:19:47 CDT 2021

That would be great.
What would be even greater would be if I could run the same test on LSU machines (Xeon 8260).
Blaise

On Mar 19, 2021, at 10:27 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org<mailto:jed at jedbrown.org>> wrote:

Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu<mailto:bourdin at lsu.edu>> writes:

Hi,

I am pricing out a new small cluster for my group and have been out of the HW loop for a while.
Does anybody on the list have experience running petsc on recent generation AMD EPYC?
I assume that the intel will not generate optimized code for non-intel COU. How about gcc / clang?
My metric is not pure performance but rather performance over price.

I have a 2-socket 7452, which is a great price point for our sort of work. If you're purely memory bandwidth-limited, you can get fewer cores, but that doesn't save a lot of money. You'd probably want to compare pricing with the new Zen 3 chips too. I'll forward you a log file from a multigrid solver with some analysis. Suffice it to say, it matches to significantly outperforms (depending on the operation) a 2-socket Xeon 8280.

I do mostly implicit finite element codes and 90% of my walltime is KSP / SNES solves

Regards,
Blaise

--
A.K. & Shirley Barton Professor of  Mathematics
Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering