[petsc-users] Petsc on AMD EPYC

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Mar 19 10:27:36 CDT 2021

Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am pricing out a new small cluster for my group and have been out of the HW loop for a while.
> Does anybody on the list have experience running petsc on recent generation AMD EPYC?
> I assume that the intel will not generate optimized code for non-intel COU. How about gcc / clang?
> My metric is not pure performance but rather performance over price.

I have a 2-socket 7452, which is a great price point for our sort of work. If you're purely memory bandwidth-limited, you can get fewer cores, but that doesn't save a lot of money. You'd probably want to compare pricing with the new Zen 3 chips too. I'll forward you a log file from a multigrid solver with some analysis. Suffice it to say, it matches to significantly outperforms (depending on the operation) a 2-socket Xeon 8280.