[petsc-users] Boundary ghost cell types in PETSc 3.15

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 29 21:04:17 CDT 2021

hi

I've been testing building my code with PETSc 3.15 and have hit a weird
problem.

If I create a DMPlex and add boundary ghost cells using
DMPlexConstructGhostCells(), I expect the boundary ghost cells to have
cell type DM_POLYTOPE_FV_GHOST, if I check the cell types using
DMPlexGetCellTypeLabel() and DMLabelGetValue().

That is true if I build using PETSc 3.14. But with 3.15 it appears the
boundary ghost cells are ending up with cell type
DM_POLYTOPE_INTERIOR_GHOST.

These types are defined in include/petscdmtypes.h and currently
DM_POLYTOPE_FV_GHOST = 11 and DM_POLYTOPE_INTERIOR_GHOST = 12.

I've attached a minimal example program in Fortran. It creates a box
mesh and adds boundary ghost cells, then counts how many have type
DM_POLYTOPE_FV_GHOST.

With PETSc 3.14 it is 24, the same as the number of ghost cells. With
PETSc 3.15 it is zero, and the boundary ghost cells all have type 12.

Any clues?

Regards, Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher