[petsc-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Problem with PCFIELDSPLIT

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 03:43:37 CDT 2021

Qi

Backward Euler is a special case of Theta methods in PETSc (Theta=1). In src/ts/impls/implicit/theta/theta.c on top of SNESTSFormFunction_Theta you have some explanation of what is solved for at each time step (see below). SNES then solves for the Newton update dy_n  and the next Newton iterate is computed as x_{n+1} = x_{n} - lambda * dy_n. Hope this helps.

/*
  This defines the nonlinear equation that is to be solved with SNES
  G(U) = F[t0+Theta*dt, U, (U-U0)*shift] = 0

  Note that U here is the stage argument. This means that U = U_{n+1} only if endpoint = true,
  otherwise U = theta U_{n+1} + (1 - theta) U0, which for the case of implicit midpoint is
  U = (U_{n+1} + U0)/2
*/
static PetscErrorCode SNESTSFormFunction_Theta(SNES snes,Vec x,Vec y,TS ts)