[petsc-users] How to confirm the performance of asynchronous computations

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 29 09:09:22 CST 2021

On , 2021Jan28, at 10:35, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org<mailto:jed at jedbrown.org>> wrote:

Why plots like this are not _absolutely standard_ on all HPC sites' webpages is a source of continuing mystery to me.

I've been asking for it for years.

Curious. Why? What would it tell you? I mean, other than “42”.

I’ll ask around how this is done in TX. Considering all the tinkering Intel does to their MPI and what with all the UCX crap, we keep a close eye on MPI performance, especially collectives.

latency is super variable (depending on the partition you get and what other jobs are running elsewhere on the machine; Blue Gene famously didn't have that problem).

The harsh truth of fat-trees with static routing:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.12195

Btw, I think we’ve turned off dynamic routing for now because of too many problems.

Victor.