[petsc-users] Error of MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:30:04 CST 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM Qin Lu via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My program got error 55 from calling MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation with Petsc
> version 3.12.5, what does this error mean? Interestingly, the same program
> using an older version 3.4.2 works fine. I did make necessary interface
> change in my program when I upgraded to 3.12.5.

1) You should always call CHKERRQ(ierr) after a Petsc call. Then you will
get the full error message and stack to send in.

2) Your error code is here:

  https://gitlab.com/petsc/petsc/-/blob/v3.12.5/include/petscerror.h#L17

3) It is a memory error. You asked for more memory than your machine could
allocate.