[petsc-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: insufficient virtual memory?

Park, Heeho heepark at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 17 19:32:19 CST 2021

That makes sense. That was my suspicion too. I will contact the sys admin. Thanks.

- Heeho Daniel Park

From: Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 5:28 PM
To: "Park, Heeho" <heepark at sandia.gov>
Cc: "petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov" <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [petsc-users] insufficient virtual memory?

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 8:23 PM Park, Heeho via petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
Hi PETSc developers,

Have you seen this error message?

      forrtl: severe (41): insufficient virtual memory

I believe this is an OS setting, independent of the code itself, which explains the difference you see between
machines. This also suggests asking the local sysadmin for your cluster.

We are running about 36 million degrees of freedom ( ~ 2.56 GB) and it is failing with the error message on our HPC systems.
Ironically, it runs on our laptop (super slow.)

      type: seqbaij
      rows=46251272, cols=46251272
      total: nonzeros=323046210, allocated nonzeros=323046210
      total number of mallocs used during MatSetValues calls=0
          block size is 1

Does anyone have experience encountering this problem?

Thanks,

Heeho Daniel Park

Sandia National Laboratories
Org: 08844, R&D