[petsc-users] Finding which cell an arbitrary point belongs to in DMPlex

Jeremy Theler jeremy at seamplex.com
Thu Sep 24 17:09:42 CDT 2020

On Wed, 2020-09-16 at 14:29 +0000, Hapla  Vaclav wrote:
> There is also DMPlexFindVertices() which finds the nearest vertex to
> the given coords in the given radius.

At first I had understood that this function performed a nearest-
neighbor search but after a closer look it sweeps the local DM and
marks whether the sought points coincide with a mesh node within eps or
not. Neat.

> You can then get support or its transitive closure for that vertex.

Not directly because in general the sought points will not coincide
with a mesh node, but a combination of this function and
DMLocatePoints() seems to do the trick.

> I wrote it some time ago mainly for debug purposes. It uses just
> brute force. I'm not sure it deserves to exist :-) Maybe we should
> somehow merge these functionalities.

It works, although a kd-tree-based search would be far more efficient
than a full sweep over the DM.

Thanks
--
jeremy