[petsc-users] osx error

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Sep 18 10:04:24 CDT 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:23 AM Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev> wrote:

>   This email thread doesn't seem to have clear communication. Can we start
> at the beginning again please? Please answer my questions directly in the
> appropriate lines below in your email response so we know what answer goes
> with what question. I know you have done some of these things but it is
> unclear what order you did them and the order is important.
>
>   Background: In order to decide if the test in MPI.py works, or needs to
> be modified or removed we need clear information about your system BEFORE
> you made changes to get things to work.
>
>    1) Did you add the
>
>    127.0.0.1    MarksMac-5.local
>
>     to the /etc/hosts yesterday because Satish suggested it, or have you
> had it there for a long time? (You should not need it)

Satish suggested MarksMac-302.local.

As I said earlier I have seen messages that say something like a network
problem, renaming hostname to MarksMac-X.local, where X is +1 the current
X. Initially it was MarksMac.local and it made MarksMac-1.local

>    2) Please run
>
>         ping -c 2 `hostname`

09:08 master *= ~/Codes/petsc$ ping -c 2 `hostname`
PING marksmac-302.local (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

--- marksmac-302.local ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
10:55 2 master *= ~/Codes/petsc$

>    3) Please remove the line 127.0.0.1    MarksMac-5.local in /etc/hosts
> and follow the directions in
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37951379/etc-hosts-ignored-in-mac-el-capitan-10-11-5
>
>       to flush the DNS cache (note for different versions of MacOS the
> command is different).

My takeway here was you need one space between the IP and name. I had a tab
here:

127.0.0.1 localhost

fixed, but did not help. Its not clear to me what you want me to do. He did
two scary (sudo goop) things. One was:

sudo launchctl unload -w
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Do you want me to do that?

>   4) Please run
>
>       ping -c 2 `hostname`
>
>    5) Please run a MPI program (doesn't matter which and I don't care how
> you installed MPICH or OpenMPI) with
>
>      mpiexec -n 2 ./programname
>
>      does it run, hang or ?
>

>   Based on this information we can decide what needs to be done next.
>
>   Thanks
>
>     Barry
>
> As a side note on my Mac
>
> $ hostname
> Barrys-MacBook-Pro-3.local
> ~/Src/petsc* (barry/2020-07-07/docs-no-makefiles *>)*
> arch-docs-no-makefiles
> $ /sbin/ping -c 2 `hostname`
> PING barrys-macbook-pro-3.local (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.077 ms
> 64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.112 ms
>
> --- barrys-macbook-pro-3.local ping statistics ---
> 2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.077/0.095/0.112/0.018 ms
> ~/Src/petsc* (barry/2020-07-07/docs-no-makefiles *>)*
> arch-docs-no-makefiles
> $
>
> We are trying to understand if/why your machine is behaving differently.
>
> My theory is that if ping -c 2 `hostname` fails then MPICH and OpenMP
> mpiexec -n 2 will fail. We need to determine if this theory is correct or
> if you have a counter-example.
>

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 8:09 AM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:51 AM Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:46 AM Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote: