[petsc-users] osx error

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 18 09:28:47 CDT 2020

> >> 07:41 master *= ~/Codes/petsc$ ping -c 2 MarksMac-302.local
> >> PING marksmac-302.local (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

So it is resolving MarksMac-302.local as 127.0.0.1 - but ping is not responding?

I know some machines don't respond to external ping [and firewalls can block it] but don't really know if they always respond to internal ping or not.

If some machines don't respond to internal ping  - then we can't use ping test in configure [it will create false negatives - as in this case]

Mark, can you remove the line that you added to /etc/hosts - i.e:

127.0.0.1 MarksMac-302.local

And now rerun MPI tests. Do they work or fail?

[this is to check if this test is a false positive on your machine]

Satish