[petsc-users] TS tutorial 11 and periodic DM

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 10:43:45 CDT 2020

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 11:09 AM Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu <
thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to figure out a working set of options for TS tuto ex11
> involving the 3D Euler Linear Wave test. I cannot seem to go anywhere as it
> keeps crashing saying the physics did not compute the wave speed ... anyone
> could advise ?

Does the shock test run for you?

  test:
    suffix: shock_0
    requires: p4est !single !complex
    args: -ufv_vtk_interval 0 -monitor density,energy -f -grid_size 2,1
-grid_bounds -1,1.,0.,1 -bc_wall 1,2,3,4 -dm_type p4est
-dm_forest_partition_overlap 1 -dm_forest_maximum_refinement 6
-dm_forest_minimum_refinement 2 -dm_forest_initial_refinement 2
-ufv_use_amr -refine_vec_tagger_box 0.5,inf -coarsen_vec_tagger_box 0,1.e-2
-refine_tag_view -coarsen_tag_view -physics euler -eu_type iv_shock
-ufv_cfl 10 -eu_alpha 60. -grid_skew_60 -eu_gamma 1.4 -eu_amach 2.02
-eu_rho2 3. -petscfv_type leastsquares -petsclimiter_type minmod
-petscfv_compute_gradients 0 -ts_max_time 0.5 -ts_ssp_type rks2
-ts_ssp_nstages 10 -ufv_vtk_basename ${wPETSC_DIR}/ex11

> It is not however completely about ex11. I am trying to figure out how to
> set up periodic boundary conditions for a box mesh. I tried to get some
> infos here and there following examples : I got that you have to set
> DM_BOUNDARY_PERIODIC for the dimensions that you want in the array that you
> pass to DM Create Box Mesh, but i am not clear whether I have to do
> anything else after. Do I have to call DM Set Periodicity ? I also saw
> sometimes calls to DMLocalizeCoordinates ? ... ?

DMSetPeriodicity() will be called by CreateBoxMesh(). You will need to call
DMLocalizeCoordinates().

> And are there any constraints regarding the number of cells in the
> periodic dimensions ? I would like to just have 1 cell in Y dimension for
> instance to have a pseudo 1D computation, is that ok ?

Yes. 1 cell will not work right now. We now have everything in place to
make it work, but have not put the code into CreateBoxMesh() to do it. For
now, you can just
put 3 cells in this direction. If you make an Issue, I will fix it as soon
as I can.