[petsc-users] Python version needed for internal scripts

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Oct 14 17:31:01 CDT 2020

Nicolas Barral <nicolas.barral at math.u-bordeaux.fr> writes:

> Thanks Matt, Pierre, Lisandro and Jed for your help.
>
> Does the python version chosen to call the configure script impact other
> petsc scripts ?

It affects everything called through make targets, which use $(PYTHON) and includes most things a user would care about.

petsc_gen_xdmf.py is special and I hate it, but proper Python "install" of this script is a hassle.

> For now keeping python as an alias for python2 seems safer (until proven
> otherwise) due to other codes.

There is no reason for people to have python2 installed unless they have to work with legacy Python that still hasn't migrated after EOL.

We test with Python-3 and folks should be encouraged to use it.