[petsc-users] reset release branch

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 1 10:02:34 CDT 2020

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 4:30 AM Appel, Thibaut <t.appel17 at imperial.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Is ‘master’ still considered stable?
> >

> Yes. Note however that we are going to migrate that branch to the name
> 'main' after this release.

I'm not sure 'stable' is the appropriate description here.  Ok - checking 'man gitworkflows'

       ·   maint tracks the commits that should go into the next "maintenance release", i.e., update of the last released stable version;

       ·   master tracks the commits that should go into the next release;

       ·   next is intended as a testing branch for topics being tested for stability for master.
<<<<<<
Ok - stable-release and stable-development?

BTW: the name 'main' is still under discussion. One issue is - its too close to the old 'maint' name. [Currently inclined  to preserve
the old maint* branches for some time - in case its part of workflow of prior releases of applications that can't be changed. This is one reason why bitbucket repo is still active].

Maybe once we switch over - we will not have sticky fingers with maint..

Alternative is 'develop' [but this I believe might suggest a different workflow than what we use: its the above - without next, with maint renamed as release, master renamed as ????]

Satish