[petsc-users] make check vs make test

Adrian Croucher a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
Wed May 20 22:59:49 CDT 2020

hi

In the latest PETSc version (3.13), 'make test' seems to be doing a much
more comprehensive set of tests than it used to.

That is ok except that I have a CI pipeline which builds PETSc and my
code, and then runs my tests. It also does a 'make test' after building
PETSc and that is now making the CI time out.

At the end of the PETSc build process it says I should run 'make check'
to "check if the libraries are working". I can't seem to find any
documentation on what 'make check' actually does, but it looks like it
runs a much reduced set of tests. Currently I am running both 'make
check' and 'make test'.

For this use case should it be sufficient to run 'make check' and omit
'make test'?

- Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Croucher